Precis Writing: Descriptive English
Writing a winning precis is an essential skill that can significantly enhance your performance in the IRDAI Assistant Manager Exam. A precis is a concise summary of a given passage, capturing the main ideas, arguments, and key points in a condensed form. This chapter aims to provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to write an effective and impressive precis for the exam.
I. Understand the Purpose and Requirements:
- Familiarize yourself with the purpose of a precis: to condense and present the essential information from a passage.
- Read the instructions carefully to understand the specific requirements, such as word limit and format guidelines.
II. Read the Passage Carefully:
- Read the passage multiple times to grasp its main theme, arguments, and supporting details.
- Pay attention to the author’s tone, style, and the overall structure of the passage.
- Identify the central idea and supporting points to determine what to include in your precis.
III. Identify Key Ideas and Arguments:
- Underline or highlight the main ideas, arguments, and examples presented in the passage.
- Look for transitional words and phrases that indicate the flow of the author’s thoughts.
- Separate essential information from less important details to maintain focus and conciseness.
IV. Create a Precis Outline:
- Start by writing a clear thesis statement that captures the central idea of the passage.
- Organize the main points and supporting arguments in a logical order.
- Use bullet points or a brief outline to structure your precis before writing the final version.
V. Write the Precis:
- Begin with a concise introductory sentence that includes the title of the passage, the author’s name, and the main theme.
- Paraphrase the main points and arguments in your own words, using a clear and concise writing style.
- Maintain the overall tone and style of the original passage while condensing the information.
- Avoid adding personal opinions or interpretations; stick to summarizing the author’s ideas.
- Focus on clarity, coherence, and coherence in your writing, ensuring that the precis flows smoothly.
- Use appropriate vocabulary and sentence structures to showcase your language skills.
VI. Revise and Edit:
- Review your precis for any grammatical errors, spelling mistakes, or awkward phrasing.
- Ensure that the precis is within the prescribed word limit and adheres to the specified format guidelines.
- Verify that your precis accurately reflects the main ideas and arguments of the original passage.
- Check for coherence and logical flow, making any necessary adjustments to improve the overall structure.
Writing a winning precis for the IRDAI Assistant Manager Exam requires careful reading, effective summarization skills, and concise writing. By following the step-by-step guide outlined in this chapter, you can enhance your ability to create an impressive precis that captures the essence of the given passage. Practice regularly to improve your precis writing skills and increase your chances of success in the exam.